Dumbarton Bridge Seismic Retrofit Project
Alameda and San Mateo Counties
- OWNER: State of California
- CONTRACT VALUE: $55,404,000
- NTP / START: October 2010
- COMPLETION: January 2013
- WORK DESCRIPTION:
The seismic retrofit involves the main channel crossing section of the Dumbarton Bridge. Work includes structural concrete overlay at 14 existing pier footings, structural concete improvements to 16 existing pier caps, 16 structural steel jacking frames within the existing steel box girders, six friction pendulum bearings installed at each pier, replacement of two existing seismic joints, and the retrofit of two existing hinge joints. Improvements were added at both approach trestle structures by installating 28 steel pipe piles, each approximately 75 ft long and 4 ft in diameter. The piles were connected to the existing structure with structural concrete trestles.
Additional work included drainage improvements by installing a new pumping plant, 2,000 ft of 36-in drainage pipe and 2,000 ft of sheet pile cut-off wall.
Other work included removal of existing cathodic protection systems, improvements to the existing seismic monitoring electrical systems, miscellaneous electrical and fiber optic cable work, and removal of 2,200 lineal ft of the original Dumbarton Bridge (Ravenswood Pier).
News & Awards
- 1st Place Safety Award for Unique Safety Application on Dumbarton Bridge Retrofit Project, Shimmick Construction Co.
- SCCI receives AGC National Construction Safety Excellence Award
- AGC of CA recognizes Dumbarton Bridge Seismic Retrofit project with prestigious AGC Constructor Award
- AGC of CA recognizes Dumbarton Bridge Seismic Retrofit Project as a finalist for Excellence in Partnering
- SCCI rising in latest ENR Top 400 Contractor rankings
- SCCI awarded United Contractors R.E.A.L safety award in 500,000+ Man hour category
- SCCI ranked #21 in ENR Top Contractors in CA (#5 Heavy Civil Contractor)
- SCCI ranked #9 in Transportation in ENR Top Contractors in CA
- Dumbarton Bridge Seismic Retrofit Project Finalist for National Award
- SCCI ranked #18 nationally in Bridge Construction in new ENR rankings
- ENR CA recognizes MIAD project as project of the year Dumbarton Bridge also recognized with Award of Merit in Bridges/Transportation category
- SCCI and Shimmick/Obayashi JV featured in January/February Issue of California Constructor Magazine
- Shimmick Construction wins 2nd Place for safety at AGC National convention
- Shimmick recognized with 1st Place for Safety Excellence in the United States!