VTA Berryessa BART Extension
Fremont / Milpitas / San Jose, CA
- OWNER: Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority
- CONTRACT VALUE: $772,227,000
- NTP / START: February 2012
- COMPLETION: May 2016
- WORK DESCRIPTION:
The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority is extending the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) light rail commuter system south from Fremont to San Jose, CA. The Berryessa Extension is the 10-mile, two station first phase of that extension, called BART Silicon Valley. The project's alignment proceeds from the planned Warm Springs BART Station in Fremont on the former Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR) right-of-way and ends near Las Plumas Avenue in the City of San Jose.
Since the project crosses through three cities and many densely populated areas, the alignment includes at-grade, trench, and aerial cross-sections. The project requires extensive coordination with the cities, utilities and UPRR.
Both stations will include multi-story parking garages, and connections to nearby highways, existing bus transit, as well as VTA's light rail system. The systems component includes: traction power, a high voltage substation, an Automatic Train Control system, and a communication system.
News & Awards
- SCCI receives AGC National Construction Safety Excellence Award
- SCCI rising in latest ENR Top 400 Contractor rankings
- SCCI awarded United Contractors R.E.A.L safety award in 500,000+ Man hour category
- SCCI ranked #21 in ENR Top Contractors in CA (#5 Heavy Civil Contractor)
- SCCI ranked #9 in Transportation in ENR Top Contractors in CA
- SCCI ranked #19 nationally in Mass Transit & Rail Construction in new ENR rankings
- Shimmick Construction Awarded 1st Place for Safety Excellence by AGC of CA
- SCCI and Shimmick/Obayashi JV featured in January/February Issue of California Constructor Magazine
- Shimmick Construction wins 2nd Place for safety at AGC National convention
- SCCI ranked in ENR's Top 100 Design-Build list for first time
- SCCI Ranked in 7 categories nationally in ENR top 400 Contractors Specialty Rankings
- SCCI Ranked in 6 categories in ENR of California's Top Contractor Rankings
- SCCI Awarded First Place in three categories at AGC of CA's Safety Excellence Awards
- Shimmick recognized with 1st Place for Safety Excellence in the United States!
- Shimmick Construction ranked #170 in ENR Top 400 Contractors
- SCCI ranks #22 in ENR California top Contractors and #6 in Transportation
- Shimmick Construction wins multiple safety awards at AGC of California Safety Excellence Awards
- SCCI reaches highest ranking in ENR top 400 Contractor rankings